cyber-barons' conspicuous construction -- "la manie de batir" -- Microsoft-at-Sea
- "Techno-Pile" - Villa Simonyi (Microsoft), Lake Washington -- Wendell Lovett
$10 mil, 21,000 sf, 10 rooms, 60 ft pool (with underground windows), game room, heliport, sauna, putting green, massage room, art museum, library, stage, black-lit video arcade, James Bond programmable master bed; tax bill $180,220.83
- "The Cyber-Baronial" Paul Allen (Microsoft), Mercer Island
74,000 sf, Scandinavian-inspired, with an indoor basketball court, a recording studio, an office tower, and a made-to-order grotto.
- "Kamp Kyoto" - Lawrence J. Ellison (Oracle Corp), Woodside, Silicon Valley -- Paul Discoe, Ron Herman
$40 mil, 23 acre, 8,000 sf main house with boat docks, a "moon pavilion," a stroll garden, three guest houses, and a hot tub ensconced in a cast-bronze boulder.
- Chateau Markkula (Apple), Woodside, Silicon Valley
18,000 sf, 50-acre estate
- "The Techno-Macho" - T.J. Rodgers (Cypress Semiconductor Corp), Woodside, Silicon Valley
- "Paradigm Haute Geek" - Tom Proulx (Intuit), Atherton, Silicon Valley
Bill Gates House [-]
Steven Spielberg [-]
Jeffrey Katzenberg [-]