d o n o t
t o u c h t
h e s e b u t
t o n s
c u r r e n t -
recent projects -
BBZ i n e
Architecture in commercials, polemics, and propaganda.
A chronicle of architecture's footnotes, statistics, and other nonsense.
a r c h i
t e c t u r e
- b.- b.- z. i
. n . e .
E x P l a i n
unbuilt works, on-going works, built works
revisited -- new competitions, pre-qualifications, competition results,
exhibitions, reviews -- delicious tidbits,
appalling statistics, useless scholarship
Please contact ArchE+/ BBZ
i n e for your tips, kudos, and updates.
a r c h i t e c t u r a l
r e c o r d s
ping-pong navigation - bbz/strolling guide
c l i c k ' n ' s c r o l l [ & Back-Button ]
. . . (click) > links > > > > ( g e t ) > quotes - - > (push) Back-Button > > > > (scroll) > lists
Ebloid Xpress |
p o l e m i c s
architectural news, exhibitions, books, letters, writings - a review
e x h i b i t i o n s
- Peter Eisenman
Vienna, Austria 2004
"Eisenman has taken over a huge 19th-century exhibition hall, 30 feet high, and made it disappear, installing a low, white, flat, false ceiling interrupted by a grid of 30 white, room-size boxes, some open, some closed. Trying to navigate your way around this eerie new space is as disorienting as negotiating the Holocaust memorial, ...
Each box is devoted to one aspect of Eisenman's work, with a cluster of four of the Berlin slabs at the centre. In one box is the entire book on Terragni, pasted on to the walls soaring unreadably overhead; in another is a Piranesi engraving, one of his other heroes; in another, a series of explorations of the proportions and the occult geometry of Palladio's villas. There are fragments of the Compostela project, a plan for a railway station in Naples and an ethnographic museum in Paris that looks like a melting Eiffel Tower on its side."
(Deyan Sudjic, obs_04.12.19)
l e c t u r e s
d e - b a i t
- Brutalist -- 1960's architecture, brutalism, Post-War buildings
preservation vs. demolition
or, altered beyond recognition
- Courthouse, West Palm Beach 1969 -- Donald Edge
- Dormitories, Princeton -- Hugh Stubbins & Associates
- New York Cultural Center ("lollipop"), Columbus Circle, New York -- Edward Durell Stone
- Parliament Complex, Bangladesh 1962 - 1974 -- Louis Kahn
- Whitney Museum of American Art, New York (completed) 1966 -- Marcel Breuer
- CBS Headquarters ("Black Rock"), New York 1965 -- Eero Saarinen
- TWA Terminal, Kennedy Airport, New York 1962 -- Eero Saarinen
- Pirelli Building, New Haven -- Marcel Breuer
- New York State Pavilion, Flushing Meadows-Corona Park 1964 -- Philip Johnson
- Ford Foundation, 42nd Street, Manhattan -- Kevin Roche ("credited to Kevin Roche John Dinkeloo & Associates")
- Veterans Memorial Coliseum, New Haven -- Kevin Roche
"slated for demolition"
- Bus Terminal, George Washington Bridge, Manhattan 1962 -- Pier Luigi Nervi
- Gettysburg Cyclorama, Gettysburg Pennsylvania 1961 -- Richard Neutra
- Orange County Government Center, Goshen New York 1963 -- Paul Rudolph
- Chatham Towers, north of Brooklyn Bridge -- Kelly & Gruzen with Mario J. Romanach
with "7 1/2-foot ceilings ... Swedish-made windows with internal Venetian blinds which cannot be replaced or repaired"
- Bass House, Fort Worth 1970 -- Paul Rudolph
for Anne Bass
- 79th Street Gallery, Manhattan -- Hans Hollein
for Richard Feigen
60's new materials
b l u r b
b u s t e r
e_c y c l e
f o r t h c o m i n g
r e t r o
s p e c t i v e
a n n i v e r s a r y
e d i t i o n
2 n d W I N D
2 e p r i x
u n o f f i
c i a l
r u n n e r - u p s
Ebloid Xpress |
less is more
n o j p g b u t t o n s , i m a g e m a p s , o r d a n c i n g g o a t s
m i e s ' g.i.f.s - l o o s ' c r i m e
let html be what html wants to be
u n s t a b l e - f o r m l e s s - d e c o r a t e d a l p h a b e t
" w h a t e v e r "
b o t t o m l i n e
w e e k l y t r i v i a
a n d o t h e r a n e c d o t e s
Click BBZ to return home to hEadlines
The world of architecture in competitions,
theories, polemics, commercials, and propagandas. A chronicle of architecture's
devastating footnotes, critical trivia, and other nonsense.
Thank you for your generous input and patronage. This
chronicle would have not been possible without your contribution,
curiosity, and colossal idleness. Please e-mail your information to
All submissions become the property of ArchE+/BBZine. They may be edited
and may be republished in any medium etc. etc. Have a nice day ... - Editors.
t r e
s p a
s s i n
Please e-mail us at ArchE+/BBZine
for your comments, suggestions, opinions, inquiries, corrections, and
any other information.
Copyright 1996 - 2007 BBZ i n e
All rights reserved.