d o n o t
t o u c h t
h e s e b u t
t o n s
c u r r e n t -
recent projects -
BBZ i n e
The chronicle of architecture in competitions, commercials, polemics,
propaganda, trivia, and other nonsense.
a r c h i
t e c t u r e
- b.- b.- z. i
. n . e .
A E R t r a f f i c
unbuilt works, on-going works, built works
revisited -- new competitions, pre-qualifications, competition results,
exhibitions, reviews -- delicious tidbits,
appalling statistics, useless scholarship
Please contact ArchE+/ BBZ
i n e for your tips, kudos, and updates.
( Y E S T E R D A Y )
g e n - p r e s s d i s p a t c h e s
ping-pong navigation - bbz/strolling guide
c l i c k ' n ' s c r o l l [ & Back-Button ]
. . . (click) > links > > > > ( g e t ) > quotes - - > (push) Back-Button > > > > (scroll) > lists
Ebloid Xpress |
new projects - on the drawing boards
b l i p s
- "metastasizing Riverside South project" -- ?; client: Donald Trump
- "west edge of Greenwich Village," New York -- Richard Meier
- tip anyone ( ? )____
n e w A r r i v a l
new commissions -- for mass media consumption
- Whitney Museum of American Art Addition, New York -- Renzo Piano
"to add up 70,000 square feet of space"
"details will not be finalized until later this year"
"after a six month search"
Architecture consultant: Reed Kroloff (now dean of Tulane University School of Architecture) helped compile a list of around 50 architects. Trustee Melva Bucksbaum narrowed the field to a short list of 12.
~ also ran: Herzog & De Meuron, David Chipperfield, Tood Williams Billie Tsien & Associates, Mr Gluckman, and a number of younger firms.
"Piano work includes":
- Pierpont Morgan Library, New York
- Art Institute of Chicago, a 220,000-square-foot wing
- Pompidou Center, Paris
- Menil Collection, Houston
- The New York Times 52-story tower, Manhattan
- West Harlem Campus for Columbia University
- Dallas Center for The Performing Arts, Dallas
set to open in 2009
"the first of five venues"
l o s t & f o u n d
p r e m a t u r e l a n d i n g
- Whitney Museum of American Art Addition, New York -- OMA/Rem
"canceled" April 2003
first, 11-story addition; scaled back to 9-story addition
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Los Angeles -- OMA/Rem Koolhaas
"indefinitely postponed" December 2002
- Prada Epicenter, San Fransisco -- OMA/Rem Koolhaas
"also on the ropes"
- Whitney Museum of American Art Addition, New York 1985 -- Michael Graves
$37.5 million, 134,000 square foot
------ recent shoo-in ------
------ also-ran ------
------ competition winners ------
d e p a r t u r e L o u n
n o w s h o w i n g
- NuGen ecosys
- softcell-arc inc.
t r a v e l g u i d e --
g a l a s , d e b u t s & k i c k o f f s --
recently opened, opening soon
- Millenium Park, Chicago -- Frank Gehry
- National Australia Bank (NAB) Headquarters, Docklands, Melbourne
-- James Grose, of Bligh Voller Nield
- 58,800 square meter
- AUS $250 mil
- SEDA 4 star energy rating
- Lend Lease Headquarters, 30 The Bond, on Hickson Road, Millers Point, Sydney
-- Lend Lease (Dominic Snellgrove, Che Wall) with Peddle Thorp for Deutsche Property Trust
- Australia's first five-star-rated eco-sustainable office building
- on short-list for the Prime Minister's Environmentalist of the Year Award 2004
- for more t r i p s, visit also form follows
- r e d u x
l a s t l a p
n o t e d p r o j e c t s
currently under construction/recently completed
(*****) in-prints a n d being
(propaganda machine$ at work ...)
i n a u g r a l s p i n s
after the fact / better late than ... / better built than ... / better be dawg than ...
wall street ceremonies
gutless wonder / ... never / ... cancelled / ... be scrutinized
/ -- what ? ... criticism ... ?
p l u m j o b s
- Scottish Parliament House, Holyrood, Scotland, UK -- Enric Miralles
-- "the price ticket ... edges ever closer to the magic half billion pound mark ($895 million)" (Hugh Pearman, st_04.05.23)
-- "[Sydney] Opera House's price rose more than 14-fold between competition and completion, whereas the Holyrood project, assuming costs do not spiral beyond 500m, will have a ten fold-rise. Albeit over a much shorter period - six years for Holyrood rather than 17 for Sydney." (Hugh Pearman, st_04.05.23)
-- "... the message running round the world is how angry the Scots are about the escalating price, up from £40 to £431 million, almost 11 times the initial estimate
(the Sydney Opera House cost only 10 times its original budget)." (Charles Jencks, sh_04.08.08)
- previous entry: Scottish Parliament House competition, 1998
C r u i s i n g A l t i t u d e -- p o s t e r j o b s
i n t h e S t a t e - O f - B l i s s
g o n e ________________
s t e a l t h ____________
c o n s p i c u o u s l y m i s s i n g
c o v e r t c o n s t r u c t i o n s
i.E. famous w o r k i n g d r a w i n g s
s u b m e r g e d / e m e r g e d
- undetected others: l o w and or s l o w ?
high-profile low-visibility works under construction - Any
tips anyone ?
(*****) B - E - l - o - v - e - d : ( & Over - Exposed )
m o b . j o b s under construction / recently completed
---- a r c h ' l - p a p s a t w o r k
m o r e C E L E B - A R C & other d . A r c h
home of elitism, the dumbing down of the masses . . . etc.
r e a l e_s t a t e
i n a l t e r e d s t a t e s
(*****) back in the news
- Roissy-Charles De Gaulle, Terminal2E, Paris -- Paul Andreu, ADP (Aeroports de Paris)
EUR 750 million (USD 896 million) [afp_04.05.24]
- Tropicana Casino and Resort, Atlantic City
collapsed Fall 2003, killed four workers
- John Hancock Tower, Boston -- I. M. Pei & Partners (Henry Cobb)
the windows falling in 1973; killed no one
- Millennium Bridge, London -- Foster & Partners
swaying after it opened in June 2000
- more a l t e r e d s t a t e s
- anniversary edition
| c o m p e t i t i o n s
/ p r e - q u a l i f i c a t i o n s |
Ebloid Xpress |
E b l o i d
x p r e s s
(*****) much hyped
Ebloid Xpress |
less is more
n o j.p.e.g. b u t t o n s , i m a g e m a p s , o r d a n c i n g g o a t s
m i e s ' g.i.f.s - l o o s ' c r i m
let html be what html wants to be
u n s t a b l e - f o r m l e s s - d e c o r a t e d a l p h a b e t
b o t t o m l i n e
w e e k l y t r i v i a
a n d o t h e r a n e c d o t e s
Click BBZ to return home to hEadlines
The world of architecture in competitions,
theories, polemics, commercials, and propagandas. A chronicle of architecture's
devastating footnotes, critical trivia, and other nonsense.
Thank you for your generous input and patronage. This
chronicle would have not been possible without your contribution,
curiosity, and colossal idleness. Please e-mail your information to
All submissions become the property of ArchE+/BBZine. They may be edited
and may be republished in any medium etc. etc. Have a nice day ... - Editors.
t r e
s p a
s s i n
Please e-mail us at ArchE+/BBZine
for your comments, suggestions, opinions, inquiries, corrections, and
any other information.
Copyright 1996 - 2004 BBZ i n e
All rights reserved.